Shape and Internal Complexity
- Complex external configurations with intricate internal geometry
are made routinely.
- Proprietary processes for cast-in passageways and pipelines.
- Simple shapes with low internal complexity are cast in our
Cell Manufacturing Center.
- Virtually any shape can be cast. Let your imagination guide
- Our engineering team will assist your engineering team to
produce the best casting design.
Size and Finished Weight
- Castings with a single longest dimension of more than 12
feet (3.6 meter) have been cast.
- Typical castings have a longest single dimension of 1.5 feet
(0.5 meter) to 5 feet ( 1.5 meter).
- Magnesium castings with finished weights up to 625 lbs (2~4
kg) are cast routinely.
- Wellman has poured magnesium castings with finished weights
of over 3000 lbs ( 1360 kg)!
- Typical aluminum castings have finished weights of a few
pounds to over 1000 lbs. (450 kg).
- Aluminum castings weighing almost one ton (>900 kg) have
been cast routinely.
Wall Thickness and Dimensional Tolerances
- Casting dimensional tolerances vary with casting size and,
to a lesser degree, with complexity.
- Wall thickness of 0.080" ± 0.015" (2.0 +
.38 mm) can be cast in aluminum.
- Wall thicknesses of .200" to .50" ± .030"
(5.0 + .7~ mm) are common in magnesium.
- Modern in-house layout department.
- Mold assembly gaging, process fixtures, and qualifying fixtures
assure dimensional accuracy.
- If thin-walled castings are what you need, our casting engineering
team is prepared to answer your questions and provide design
Integrity and Mechanical Properties
- All alloys are prepared in-house from Wellman specified materials
for ultimate control.
- Melts are fully documented, analyzed, and certified.
- In-house metallurgical tests go beyond ordinary melt control
for gas content and grain size.
- Strict manufacturing procedures and processes along with
SPC assure process control.
- Use of X-ray, fluorescent penetrant inspection (FPI), for
process development and control.
- All heat treating is done in-house and is backed by a fully
equipped metallurgical laboratory.
- Exceeding the toughest mechanical property specifications
in complex castings is our forte.
- Using the best casting engineering coupled with strict process
control and melt preparation to produce the highest internal
integrity makes it happen. We stake our reputation on it.